Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Brasil I: São Paulo


I'm getting much better at packing light. I could've done better, but this time was certainly a step up from my previous trips anywhere (even some weekend-long "trips" to Toronto): one backpack and a little bag-o'-important-stuff (the contents of which could have fit into the backpack). Win!

The trip down, being a direct flight, was much better than (i.e., half the duration of) last time, so I actually had the energy for the 2-hour bus/subway-ride + 20-minute walk to the hostel... saving me the R$100 (~$70 CDN) a taxi would've cost me. But the bus ride was actually the best part of my day so far: I chatted with some locals and a tourist from Porto Alegre, which was lots of fun, not to mention great exercise for my very rusty Portuguese. I'm continually surprised by Brasilians. One of the women I was chatting with on the bus invited me to stay at her house for the two nights that I'll be here in São Paulo. I couldn't believe it! I was so touched, and I really wanted to accept, but I wanted to be in the area where my hostel is, so I didn't. Maybe next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment